Saturday, September 8, 2012

Hot hot hot

Early September weather in the Pacific Northwest is always a toss-up. Sme years it is hot and dry, some years it is cool and dry, and some years it is cool and rainy.  This is one of the hot and dry years, for which I am profoundly thankful.  With any luck, my tomatoes and grapes will actually have a chance to finish ripening before the cooler fall weather shuts things down.

On a related note, we have peppers.  LOTS of peppers.  My two bell pepper plants are ripening at once just like they always do (why can't they space themselves out a little more?), and we have five plants of jalapeño peppers that are loaded down with ripe fruit, plus two Serrano pepper plants in the same condition.  The cayenne peppers aren't quite ripe yet, and the two habanero plants are definitely not ripe yet.  But those jalapeños, whew!  Last year, for reasons that could not be fully determined, all of my jalapeños were utterly mild.  I had bought the packaged labeled Hot!, but I now suspect it might have been mislabeled.  I soldiered on and tried again this year with seeds bought from another source and goodness gracious heavens to Mergatroyd, these jalapeños are volcanic.  I put five mostly seeded *slices* in a pot of tomato soup last night and it was almost too hot for me to comfortably eat. Now to find more uses for all this hotness. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment